Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Any-Day-Now Axel Update

I've started joking that my dying words will be that I'm going to land my axel any day now...

I suppose as long as I keep the optimism that it's going to happen, it's a good thing.

The take-off feels much more consistent, even good, and I generally get around to the quarter mark, but often my weight is still traveling forwards instead of backwards at that point, and it's like I reach for the ice with my skating foot. I think my take-off is generally pretty good, but what needs to be adjusted is my air position, and holding that position all the way through landing. I'm trying to identify those things by using video and exercises that train the correct feeling so I can finally land the darn thing.

But here's a few videos of recent axels so you can understand the phrase I utter virtually every day, "It's sooooo close!" In chronological order, but all from the past month. Typical axel practices.





4 comments:

  1. You are soo close!! I have not yet attempted an axel but I "tried" one off ice for kicks the other day and I almost dislocated my shoulder. Now I'm really scared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried to land them in a frame? I've just noticed that your arms open up midway through the jump so it's causing your body to open up too early. That is part of what is causing you to land forwards. Or, try doing axel-loop exercises. That should force you to keep that leg in front and your body closed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that is very, very close, I hope it doesn't take much longer! I guess you have to just keep working the process and try to stay patient until that magic day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are so close!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete