Friday, September 26, 2014

My Dramatic Program: It's So Funny!

I've had this song picked out that I wanted to do a dramatic program to for about a year and a half. I was playing the album on a nearly empty session one day and this song just grabbed me. My friend said, "Oh, you *have* to skate to this!" But up until now, I'd never done it. First, I was a little scared to try doing a dramatic event. Then I couldn't figure out how to cut the music. With the registration deadline for my last competition of the season coming up, I decided it was now or never. If I could cut the music in time for the registration deadline, I would sign up. And that's what I did.

My goal with this program was to try to move in a way that felt comfortable and expressive for me, so I wanted to do my own choreography. I ended up doing most of it, but because I only had about a month to put it together,  I enlisted my coach for a little bit of help when I got into a time crunch.

There are parts of this skate that I love, and also a lot of parts that I'd like to rework. But I'm going to count my first dramatic program outing as a success, and I think I will continue to work on this program and keep it for Adult Nationals next year.

Oh, and the title of this post? Right before the competition, I ran into a young girl on a public skate who had been on a number of freestyle sessions where I'd practiced my program. She told me, "You do that program where you kick your leg! It's so FUNNY!" Her interpretation made me chuckle, but I corrected her, "Well, it's not supposed to be funny, it's supposed to be..." I struggled for the right word to use with a 7 year old, but she piped up first, "I know, I know. It's supposed to be dramatic!"

So there you have it folks. It may be funny, but it's supposed to be DRAMATIC! You be the judge!


4 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful performance! Kids say the darndest things... pay no attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a lovely program, with very smooth connecting moves and really graceful arms. Loved the ending! Kids are very funny but there's a reason they don't use them as skating commentators.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you get on your toes at the end of the spin, unexpected and interesting. And of course the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! Very gorgeous. Kids are so funny - one of my students told me the other day that I looked like a mum...followed by asking me if I was a teenager or married. Not sure how to take that.

    ReplyDelete