Sunday, November 9, 2014

Axel Agony

These past two weeks have been axel agony. For almost all of October, I seemed to be getting closer and closer, and then all of the sudden, I was moving backwards again. I tried and tried to think of each practice as a fresh start, an opportunity to get back what I knew of the axel and make progress, but it just wasn't working. It was hard not to get frustrated. Well, I did get frustrated. But I tried to diligently put frustration behind me and work at what was going wrong. But for two weeks, I made no progress. Suddenly, what had become a pretty stable take-off for me started falling apart and it was waxel city. I bailed on the take off a lot and sometimes just got it plain wrong. I did a lot of two footed once arounds.

Saturday morning, I got to the part of my practice in which I was practicing axel. I did some exercises, muscled through a few poor attempts, flubbed some take-offs, and then I went for one again. My toe-pick hit the ice and I went down on my butt. I felt dejected. I sat there grumpy, a little longer than I should have. I made eye contact with one of the only coaches on the ice. He isn't my coach, but he's on just about every session I skate on. Pretty sure he had seen the jump I said, "Was it even close?" I wasn't sure of how far around I'd been when my toe pick bounced off the ice. "No," he said unequivocally, "maybe half a turn short." I sighed and pulled myself to my feet. It wasn't what I had wanted to hear, but I appreciated his candor. Then he whispered to me, "I would hold the edge a little bit longer," and then he put a finger to his lips, as if to say it was our little secret--after all, he's not my coach. "The entry edge a little longer?" I asked to confirm. "Yes, a little longer," he confirmed and again held his finger to his lips. We then went our separate ways.

I was willing to try anything, so when I went for my next attempt, I waited on the entry edge. And there it was. Not a fully rotated, beautiful axel with lovely flow out, but the quarter turn cheated axel that I had been doing for the previous month. I tried it again and again, and I was still bailing on some, but when I reminded myself to wait that fraction of a second longer than I think I have to, the majority of the jump would come. It felt familiar; it felt good.

Today, I did enough of them to even be able to think about my position in the air and holding still and tight until the landing, which I think was what had done me in in the first place. I'm still in this tenuous back and forth place. When the take-off finally got consistent, I started focusing on getting that landing, and then I stopped getting the take-off right because I was no longer thinking about it, but it's not quite muscle memory yet. I'm so ready for all the pieces to come together. But why do I feel like the axel will always be the cause of some amount of agony?

2 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself over this, alejeather. Although my axel is pretty consistent, I lose it every once in a while. It was gone for a full week this month! And during last week's lesson, I had a really bad fall (I don't usually fall on this jump) and bruised up my entire right hand. This jump is really finicky - there is *always* something that needs to be refined or improved, so it's a journey to get the "perfect" looking jump. I know that you are ready to land this jump and have been for a long time, so it's extremely frustrating. Have you tried positive visualization? Instead of thinking about the things that you should/could be doing or fixing, how about just having the confidence and seeing the perfect jump in your head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that the other coach was kind and took a professional chance to give you that one key piece of advice! I've heard so much about axels that come and go, you are certainly not alone in that.

    ReplyDelete