Monday, March 10, 2014

Sectionals

I'm back from my first Adult Sectionals competition. I had a lovely time and it was wonderful to see adults competing in so many events.

I was pretty happy with how I skated, even though I fell on a spin. I also had a few of those normal competition bobbles, where I tripped here and there. But I held onto my sit spin at the end, even though it wasn't the best. It's too bad, since I did a terrific one in warm-up, but it was also a triumph, since I've screwed up my sit spin almost every time I've performed a program.

I thought when I fell that I had for sure lost my chance at winning, but I quickly pushed the thought aside and kept going. I got to watch the last four skaters in my group and they skated wonderfully. I was hoping I still had a chance for a medal, but I was preparing myself for other eventualities while waiting for the results.

When the runner posted the results sheet, I saw my name at the top and was confused. I'd been scanning for my name in the middle of the pack. What was this list? It wasn't the start list, wasn't it the results? And then it hit me. I'd come in first. I was shocked! And then thrilled!

I was happy it turned out as it did, especially since some family I don't get to see very often got to come and watch. I hope to continue to make some improvements before Nationals, where I hope to nail both my spins. Here's my performance:

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on your well-deserved 1st place finish! Beautiful program - I am so thrilled for you! We need to meet up in Boston next month! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I want to meet up at Nationals! I will come see you skate, too, if I can!

      Delete
    2. I will be skating Gold Freestyle 2 (Thursday late afternoon) and Gold Dramatic 2 (Friday night). I'm going to try to come watch you too!

      Delete
  2. Very nice! Such high-level footwork and great jumps, too. And not many people do a camel spin in bronze, either. You made a quick recovery from that first sit spin and got the second one, congratulations on your first place finish! I must have skated soon after you since I was in Bronze Ladies IV, I was not watching at that point because of that. Too bad I never saw you and connected, let's do that next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! I think we were at different Sectionals. I was at Easterns and I think you're in the Pacific section? I think that's how we missed each other! Will you post a video of your skate?

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was at the Pacific Coast Sectionals, somehow I didn't realize you were going to Easterns. I have gotten up a couple of posts about Sectionals and a video, it was a good experience.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful skate! Mary is right - very high level footwork and strong jumps. You are a very dynamic skater, it's a pleasure to watch!

    ReplyDelete