Monday, March 4, 2013

Skates Well with Others

I made a brief foray into skating pairs this week. Yesterday, a recent skating acquaintance showed up wearing the exact same colors as me. We took it as a sign to try some pairs elements. After side by side jumps, we did a throw waltz jump and some pairs spirals. He wanted to try a death spiral, but I refused, because it was too crowded. Earlier in the week, I did some side by side jumps with an adult pairs skater, and we had decent success with our timing.

I've never wanted to skate pairs, but this was really fun. It's just fun to strive to do something with somebody else. I'd still never want to skate pairs because I'm pretty terrified of lifts, and I'm not suited for them--I'm not short and I'm heavy for my size. Even as a 12 year old in ballet, I was almost never lifted during partnering class. But I think I'd enjoy dabbling it in every once in a while. My partner from yesterday says once I get my axel, we'll do a throw axel :)

One of the things that initially appealed to me about skating was that it is an individual sport, so something that has surprised me greatly is the joy of skating with others. I've had the good fortune to find good communities of adult skaters in my area. We watch and advise, videotape, encourage and challenge each other. A few weeks ago, a group of 4 of us spent the better part of a public session playing monkey see-monkey do. One skater would show off a skill and then everyone else would take turns doing the same element (or a variation they were capable of). The next week, everyone was still talking about how much fun it was.

Speaking of skating with others, I have only one competitor for my competition next weekend. And that's only in one of my two events. I wish there were more, but it does make me a little less nervous for my first competition. My parents will be coming to watch, and maybe a few others, but I didn't want to invite a lot of people because I have no idea how I'll react to the situation yet. But here's hoping that next weekend, I'll skate well in front of others!


6 comments:

  1. I think you've told me this, but what competition are you doing? The pac-coast sectionals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm just skating in a local competition. I'll send you a PM and let you know which. One of the reasons I have so few competitors is because it's the same weekend as Sectionals and I think a lot of adults are traveling to that. Part of me wishes I were, too, but part of me is glad I decided to stay local for my first event.

      Delete
    2. Oh right. I was kind of hoping I'd get to see you since I'm going to watch sectionals this weekend! I remember you're not actually in CA, so I doubt I'd see you at a local comp. Best of luck!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I just discovered your skating blog and loved watching your practice videos. I need to do the same but always forget to ask my coach to videotape my lessons. I'm an adult skater on the East coast. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eva! Thanks for commenting! I'm also an East coast adult skater :)
      If you like my videos, you should check out my YouTube channel (username: alejeather) because there are a lot of videos I post there that I don't post here on the blog.
      Most of my videos are self-shot. I set up my camera on the boards periodically to see certain elements. Every once in a while, I ask a skating friend to film me. My coach has never filmed me. I learn a lot from my own videos about what I'm doing wrong! Hope you continue to stop by! I'll be posting soon about my competition experience.

      Delete
    2. Very cool - I will check them out soon!

      Delete