Sunday, March 17, 2013

Moving on...

So I had a fabulous first competition last weekend. And then Monday, I had some skating related news in my email:

My coach announced she was taking a break from coaching.

Big sigh. I'm not 100% surprised. I saw a few signs. And in fact, she told me a few weeks ago that she was going to stop teaching LTS once the 8-week session wrapped up. I think at that point, she was planning on continuing with private lessons. But for reasons she didn't elaborate on, she's taking time completely away from the rink.

This leaves me coachless. Okay, not exactly. I do have an ice dance coach and a spins coach. But neither of them work with me on anything else and I had a plan to test silver moves in April. My coach left me with a recommendation of someone to try and we unsuccessfully tried to meet up last week. I guess we'll try again this week. I at least want to do a trial lesson with her, since my beloved coach gave her a recommendation.

I've also decided to do a trial lesson with the coach who did my spins class during the session we had the recital. I'd considered it after I heard the news about my coach, but the recommendation of a fellow adult skater who works with him made me decide to go for it. She said she thought we'd be a great fit.

I shared the news with some other skating friends today, one of whom has opinions aplenty. She wanted to know if I was going to try out a lesson with a particular coach (and I don't plan on it--we've worked together some, and I don't think she's my style) and who else had I lined up. She didn't say anything in particular, but she made it clear she disapproved of one coach I'm lining up a trial with. Once she did, I decided I'd shared enough information with her.

Even bigger sigh. I hate drama. I'm going to do the trial lessons I want to do and go with the coach who works for me. And I think I'll refrain from discussing my coaching options further with skaters who want to make a stink. Maybe I'll also hold my cards a little closer to my chest. Well, it's bedtime now. First trial lesson is tomorrow before work.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's such a hassle to have to find another coach that works well. Reminds me of buying a new pair of skates that fits well - a nightmare! But at least you can do trial lessons with coaches. Hope you'll find one that you like just as much as the old one, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, what a bummer. I know exactly how you feel. I am on my 3rd coach in 2 years. Both of my previous coaches left the rink, and it definitely takes some time to adjust. I hope this new coach works out for you and can help you through the Silver MIF next month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. My lesson went well this morning. I still planning on trying out at least one other coach. It is a real bummer. I hadn't realized what a great relationship I had with my coach and how much I looked forward to lessons with her until she was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, that's too bad. And I definitely, definitely hear you on the issue of other skaters having Opinions. I like the adults at my rink and there's a nice little community, but some certainly do have strong opinions. Sometimes I would really prefer to practice quietly and not get corrected by people who aren't my coach. I think it's wise to decide to play this one close to the vest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi alejeather! I am testing out a new feature on my blog called Skating Fridays. I was able to upload 3 videos of my skating today. Let me know what you think! =)

    ReplyDelete