Sunday, June 23, 2013

New Toys

The competition's over, and you know what that means? Freedom!!! Well, what I mean is practices and lessons don't have to be focused on my program every single time. I had two really great lessons this week. My primary coach started me on sit-back sit and camel-back camel. "These are your new toys," he said, "I want you to start playing around with them."

And, it's been determined. Moving up to bronze, I'm going to need spins with either a change of position or a change of foot, or even both.

Coach Picky also gave me some new toys:

  • Camel-back scratch, which went well. While working on this, she challenged me to push harder into the camel spin. Last time I tried that, I ended up with a giant bruise on my right knee. But my camel spin entrance has gotten stronger since then, so I went for it and she counted out those revs: 5!
  • Cannonball spin, or as she called it, a pencil spin. Oh my gosh. So disorienting. Coach Picky said that I hit a good position on my first try, but I just got down there and lost all body awareness! I had no idea if I was falling over or not, so I freaked and bailed before I could get very far. 
  • Sit, pancake spin, back sit. - Meh.
  • Aaaaaand..... (drumroll) layback! Oh, I'm so excited about this spin. We spent time practicing the position at the boards, and breaking some of my ballet habits which were counter-productive for the spin. I. want. a. layback.
So, new toys, yay! We've also gotten a chance to work on the lutz, which is not great yet, but it seems to definitely be on the mend. I'm really glad to be working on some new things, and I'm even pondering some new music... But for now, the new elements:

5 comments:

  1. Hooray for new elements! Your sit has made huge improvements! The transition into the back is can be tricky but once you figure out how to push into it, it isn't very hard. Can't wait to see your layback!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you always been able to get quite low on your sit spin or have you done lots of exercises to help? I must have the weakest thighs in the world...as soon as I get down to an appropriate "sit" position my muscles tend to give in and I come crashing down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sit spin looks great, you should have no problem passing it on your bronze free test. And really nice lutz! I'd say you will be really competitive in bronze right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My lutz is not yet consistent. Since I've started spending lesson time on them, the ones in this video are the best I've done. I just don't have all the muscle memory yet, and with so many things to think about on the lutz, I'm bound to forget something!

      Bronze in my area is relatively competitive. Lots of lutz combos and combination spins, so I'm working on getting to that point as well. A few more months, and we'll see how I stack up against the pack.

      Delete
  4. awww...where's the layback? ;-)

    ReplyDelete