Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Never Enough

I did a clean run-through of my program in my lesson this morning. I landed every jump. I hit all of my spin positions, I didn't stumble in any of my footwork or transitions, and I finished on time. I was beaming when I finished.

There were still a few minutes left in my lesson and my coach asked me if I could do a split jump. I told him he'd seen me do one before, because he'd said, "I didn't know you could do that!" He didn't remember, but sent me out to show him one. I had no idea where he was going with this.

Then he said, "This time, after the split jump, do a mohawk into a flip jump." So I tried it.

Then he said, "Do it again, but add a loop-toe loop after the flip. Now that's a sequence!" So I tried it... and it wasn't so bad. I do a flip-loop-toe as the opening jumping pass in my program, and so I thought he was maybe trying to strengthen the combo by making me try something more difficult.

"That's pretty good! I want you to add that into your program." Um, what? I thought he was joking, but he wasn't and told me to show my choreographer/coach in our next lesson.

I'm not so sure about it. I think my split jump is okay--my extension isn't what it used to be and my arms always go way too high. I also think it takes away from the combo, which isn't as big and floaty with the split jump first, but maybe that will get better with practice. And finally, I don't know that it works choreographically. But we'll see what my other coach has to say.

The moral of the story is, you run a clean program for your coach 7 weeks before the competition, and it's never enough! You'll get more troubles heaped on!


6 comments:

  1. Haha - isn't that the truth! A skating friend of mine just changed her music (!) less than one week before a big competition. I changed around my entire program the week of my last test. Seems like change is always a constant in our sport, right? Your new jump sequence sounds fabulous! How's the axel coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change, tell me about it! I performed 4 different versions of my bronze/pre-bronze program by the time I retired it. Axel feels like it is both on the verge of a breakthrough and stalled. *Sigh*

      Delete
    2. You'll get that axel before you know it. I heard it takes at least a good 6+ months for an adult to have a good axel breakthrough. Keep at it, and it will come. I think I'm on my 4th iteration of my current freestyle program, and I will need to alter it again for Nationals. I'm ready to retire it! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow I'd love to be able to do a split jump! What a cool sequence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely a challenging sequence. Thankfully, choreography coach veto-ed it. I agree with her decision.

      Delete
  3. A clean run-through seven weeks before your competition is a great place to be! But yeah, the coaches always need to up the ante on us. Sounds like a fabulous sequence, though

    ReplyDelete