Sunday, August 11, 2013

Birthday Axel!

The day finally came. I got to try my first on-ice axels. On the harness, of course. And, it was my birthday! I got to say, that is a great way to start out a birthday.

We actually spent my entire lesson adding some style to my compulsory program, at the request of my primary coach. But I noticed when we were finished that no other students had showed up for a lesson, so I asked if we could take a few extra minutes and do the axels on the harness that she had promised in our first lesson.

She strapped me into the harness and we started with a couple waltz jumps to get a feel for the harness. Then she had me try a waltz backspin and after that we were off. The first few felt so much like the waltz backspin that I wasn't really sure that I was doing anything different. We tried getting more explosive, we worked on the take-off. Some attempts were wild, some were underrotated. And some were actually pretty decent, I think.

The strangest thing to me about the harness is that you can't hold a landing edge for very long because it pulls you away from the harness track. I was never really sure if I was standing up on the landing because shortly after I'd land, I'd pull against the harness and couldn't keep my balance. I had to rely on feedback from the coach to know how it had gone and she pointed out some things on one and other things on another.

I loved trying them. I was so excited at first, my legs were shaking and that made everything a little harder. I can't wait to try them again and it was a birthday event I will never forget!

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome birthday present! The harness axel takes a while to get used to, but soon enough it will feel comfortable. I hope the axel without the harness comes very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I tried the axel with the harness once years ago. My coach was this itty bitty thing, and I'm tall and stocky. She couldn't really get me high enough to make it feel worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete