Wednesday, July 2, 2014

June

Wow, has June been a busy month!

Skating wise, I had both a competition and an ice dance weekend. They both had me thinking a lot about where I was at this time last year.

Ice Dance
The June ice dance weekend last year was my first ice dance weekend. I was just about to take my pre-bronze dances. I knew a grand total of 6 dances and when I showed up for the Friday evening dance session, I knew a grand total of no one. I was considering giving up ice dance after I tested, but the dance weekend totally changed my mind. I saw how fun social dancing was and how interesting the higher level dances were, and I decided to stick with it. Since then, I've travelled to two other ice dance weekends, did the social ice dance session at Nationals and have made occasional treks to a neighboring skate to get partnering practice with an ice dance friend. Going into the weekend this year, I was looking forward to seeing the friends I'd made throughout the year and excited to dance 13 or so different dances. Hard to believe all that has changed in a year

Competition
At the June competition last year, I skated pre-bronze. I was probably borderline bronze at the time, but my coach didn't want me to move up just yet. I didn't have a great skate. Neither of my spins were very successful, but I won anyway. I felt a little bad. This year, I skated at silver. Comparing the program I did in this year's competition to last year's competition makes it really evident how far I've come in a year. A lot of that progress I didn't really notice it as it was happening.

Other June news
I started my first double jump! We started with double loop. I think it's because there's no weight shift in it. I'm off to a pretty good start, I'm mostly trying to work out the timing. Too bad it's not even allowed at gold, but I think it will help with axel and other doubles. Also, in one banner day, we started both flying camel and flying sit. I don't have a really strong back camel so flying camel will probably take a while. But flying sit I think will be a good spin for me. Coach is even talking about putting it in my program for a competition at the end of August.

I'm trying to talk dance coach into letting me take my bronze dances. He's agreed, but I haven't gotten him to sign the test papers yet. I can't quite figure out what the hold up is. It may just be that he's not sure of his schedule yet, but I keep wondering if he doesn't think I'm ready yet, or if he doesn't want me to stop working on these dances yet. I probably won't get the test in time to do the next level of dance at the competition in August, so I may not do solo dance and instead try to put together a dramatic program.

Let's see, any other skating news? Well, I'm enjoying myself at a skate camp right now, which I hope to post about later. Camel spin continues to come and go. Axel is still not fully rotated. So, you know, business as usual :) How's your summer skating going?

6 comments:

  1. How exciting about the double jumps! Good luck and with the flying spins too. You continue to improve every time I see any of your videos, such a clean skater and quite an inspiration. It's the middle of winter here in NZ so everyone is training hard as the next few competitions draw near...my next one is in a week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules! Have you had your competition yet? How did it go?

      Summer is a busy training time here, or at least it feels that way to me, since all the kids are out of school and on my regular sessions!

      Delete
    2. Yes I've had my competition but it was not a happy one! The next one is in a fortnight so hopefully it will be much better. I'm sure each competition you learn something!

      Delete
  2. Agree with Jules. Your skating has improved so much in the course of a ear and since I have been following your blog. You should be proud of all you have accomplished. I am excited to see what is in store for you in the next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva! I can't wait to look back on the upcoming year! Will I have an axel by next Nationals? That's what I want to know the most! My dream would be to look back and wonder how I ever wondered that!

      Delete
  3. Going from competing at pre-bronze to competing at silver in one year is quite an accomplishment! And seeing as how you are starting on flying camel, flying sit, and double loop you are certainly not slowing down. Impressive! I'm not skating as hard this summer as I did last summer. I'm staying at the closest two rinks and the ice is a bit expensive and scarce this time of year, so my training time is down. But I am skating a dramatic program for exhibition in a week. It's the same program that I did last year with a rose, but reworked to be shorter and a bit different. I'm also working on learning camel spin and sit-change-sit.

    ReplyDelete