Sunday, November 10, 2013

Eulogy for a Pair of Skates

After a two month process of ordering and exchanging new boots and blades, I have finally begun to break in a new pair of skates. Around the time I ordered the new skates, I bought some colored laces for my current skates. After all, these skates have seen me through a lot and I figured I'd send them out with a bang.


They weren't technically my first skates, but they were pretty close to it.

I broke my ankle in these skates. And I returned to the ice in these skates.

I passed my first test in these skates. In fact, I've passed 11 tests in these skates.

I did my first competitions in these skates. I brought home 7 medals in these skates.

I learned to spin in these skates. 

I landed my first loop, flip and lutz in these skates. 

I attempted my first axel in these skates. (update: landed underrotated axels in them?)

I attended my first dance weekend in these skates. 

I've gone through 6 coaches in these skates, 3 of whom I take from now.

I've skated at ten rinks in seven states in these skates. 

Thank you, dear skates, for all you have seen me through. Happy retirement :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, your skates have gotten you through a lot! Tell us about the new pair - what brand boots and blades did you get!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure have :) My new skates are SP Teri KT-2s with MK Vision blades. I'll post about them a little more later.

      Delete
  2. OK, you made me count up the rinks I've skated in in my current skates, and it's about the same as you. But not time to retire my skates yet thank goodness. Good luck with the break-in, and I hope you love your new boots and blades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the laces!!

    ReplyDelete