Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Next Competition

Yesterday it was decided--I'll do the local competition in June, and I'll compete again in pre-bronze.
I haven't been keeping up with my program much since my competition in March. I showed it to both my new coaches for the first time this week. Both times, I was running ahead. After the first time, I tried to figure out where I got ahead, and I realized that I was just getting to my destinations a lot faster. I hadn't noticed that I'd gotten faster! How'd that happen?

Both coaches assured me that being ahead was a good thing--it means we can add more things to the program. "Let's replace that flip-loop with a flip-toeloop-loop," one coach (nickname TBD) decided. "And can you do a camel spin?" he asked me.
"Ha!" I scoffed, letting him know what I thought of my ability to do a camel spin, especially in a program.
"That's not what I meant! I mean, are you allowed to do a camel spin!"
"Oh, well, unfortunately, yes."
"Add it in. Replace the scratch with a camel."
"Bbbbut... I kinda like the scratch."
"Well, you can do a camel-scratch. But I want you to add it in so you'll practice it."

Like I'm not already practicing camel spins! I don't know why, but I feel like I take up about an 8th of the rink when doing a camel spin, so I feel self-conscious about practicing them. The fact that I also feel they're so bad it's silly doesn't help either. But I'm definitely practicing them.

Coach Picky saw the program today.
"Do you have time to change positions in the spiral? What about a cross foot forward spiral?" I do not know *how* I'm supposed to get into that position!
"And you have a strong salchow, there's no reason you can't land it with one or both hands over your head." Earlier, she'd called my salchow beautiful <3 <3
"Are you allowed to do a lutz? No? Oh, too bad. A change foot spin? Yes? Okay, I want you to start working that in."
She also suggested some footwork just as the session was ending, so I didn't get time to learn it.

So I guess we're getting back to work on the program. I'm interested to see where it ends up and hope to be able to perform it well in June. And, I hope this time I'll have some competition!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun changes to your program! I can't to hear how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha it's funny how coaches do that. "Can you do XYZ?" "Haha not really." "Then let's put that in!"

    I feel the same about practicing camels. I feel like anyone who dares to come within 10 ft radius of me will be killed by my unpredictable free foot.

    ReplyDelete