Saturday, February 2, 2013

Real Figure Skater Moment #1

When I first started learning the loop jump, my coach started out by teaching me what she calls a walking loop. You do backwards crossovers into a regular loop entry, but instead of jumping, you pull up into a quick double three: back outside 3 turn-forward inside 3 turn and then check out. Recently, as I've watched some of the performances from Nationals, I've noticed that this is a common alternate entry sequence to the loop. I imagine it garners extra points under IJS. I particularly remember that Mirai Nagasu did it. Here it is in her short program at about the 1:10 mark:


Thursday, I was on a relatively empty public session with a skating friend, and we were playing around. I thought, you know, I can now do a loop jump. And I can do forward and backward three turns. Maybe I could do this entry into a single loop.

It worked SPECTACULARLY.  It was actually easier than from backwards crossovers, because it was more like doing the loop from a forward inside three. I was absolutely giddy. I had one of those, "I am a real figure skater!" moments. Look at me! Like Mirai! I know that adult pre-bronze doesn't use IJS, but it's still gotta count for something, right?

When I ran through my jumps for my coach this morning, I did the whole sequence that she choreographed as my loop entrance for my program, but included the walking loop. She apparently liked it because when I didn't include it in my first run-through she asked me why I left it out. So I guess it's now part of my choreography. Hooray! (I think)

In other news, I hit my flip every time in the program this morning, but I did wipe out on some back crossovers. I ended up on my belly, army crawling trying to get back up and continue the program. Also, my sit spin was pretty on. Though I did do a run through where I fell out of my sit spin and landed on my butt precisely on the last note of the song. If I don't skate my program successfully, it at least looks like I will die gloriously.

Coach says my waltz jump is a good 4 inches higher than it has been. I mentioned to her that I was considering doing bronze compulsory moves in this upcoming competition as well as the pre-bronze freeskate. But when she described what I'd have to do, it made me tired just listening to it! I still think I'll do it, though, just for the experience. Registration's due next weekend and competition's in 5 weeks!

3 comments:

  1. I feel excited for you just from reading this! You seem to have learned your program super fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I used to dance so picking up choreography isn't too hard for me. We did change about half my program this weekend! (That pivot, twizzle, bauer beginning is out so that we have time for another jump). It's still really unfinished. I'm anxious to have the piece set so I can get really comfortable with it.

      Delete
    2. Aw that's a pity, that beginning sounds real pretty! I hope by my next program I can put a twizzle in (can't do one yet but getting there) and maybe even an Ina Bauer (very faintly hopeful). I have the last piece of my program to learn still, should learn it all by tomorrow!

      Delete